A complex sentence is a sentence with one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. The clauses are joined by a subordinating conjunction or a relative pronoun. Complex sentences are useful for making writing more interesting or for adding detail to a statement.
For example, the following sentence is a complex sentence:
- “I adopted a dog because I wanted companionship.”
The dependent clause in this sentence is “because I wanted companionship” and the independent clause is “I adopted a dog.” The subordinating conjunction “because” joins the two clauses together.
In contrast, the following sentence is a simple sentence:
- “I adopted a dog.”
This sentence has only one clause, making it much less interesting than the complex sentence. However, there are times when a simple sentence is more appropriate, such as when you want to make a point quickly or clearly. In general, though, complex sentences add variety and interest to your writing.
For example, the following sentence contains two clauses:
- “I slept for eight hours last night” and “I feel well-rested.”
By joining these two clauses together with a subordinating conjunction, we create a complex sentence:
- “Because I slept for eight hours last night, I feel well-rested.”
As this example shows, complex sentences can be powerful tools for conveying information clearly and concisely.
30 Examples of Complex Sentences in English
1- As I was ill, so I cannot come to school.
2- Since I am the captain, so it is my responsibility.
3- He must have left because the light was on.
4- We can go out after you finish your homework.
5- Although he is rich, he is not happy.
6- I plan to study abroad after I graduate from college.
7- The movie was interesting, and I enjoyed it.
8- She didn’t study for the test, yet she got an A.
9- He works hard, so he can support his family.
10- We went to the park, and then we went to get ice cream.
11- The flowers need water, or they will die.
12- I’m going to bed early tonight so that I can get up early tomorrow.
13- He is reading a book, and he is also listening to music.
14- I’m studying English so that I can get a better job.
15- Even though it was raining, we went for a walk.
16- Unless you finish your dinner, you can’t have any dessert.
17- She’s very shy, but she’s also very friendly.
18- If you want to lose weight, you should exercise more.
19- Since it was cold outside, we decided to stay home.
20- He didn’t study for the test, but he still did well.
21. I’m going to the store, and then I’m going to the post office.
22. I’d like to go swimming, but I don’t have a swimsuit.
23. She’s very smart, and she also works hard.
24. We went out for dinner, and then we went to a movie.
25. If you want to lose weight, you should eat less food.
26. I didn’t study for the test, but I still did well.
27. He speaks three languages fluently: English, Spanish, and French.
28. The flowers need water, or they will die.
29- Unless it rains tomorrow, we will go to the park.
30- If you want to lose weight, you should exercise more and eat less food.